5.28.2011

PERSPECTIVE

perspective is an art.
sketching perspective shows us the spaces between things or their overlap. it can make objects seem closer or more distant. it may give us a sense of proportion, whether true or skewed. measuring perspective gives us a better sense of two or more objects on the same plane, how they relate.

i had a perspectival coffee date this evening with a good friend. her questions and her musings, her general depth, helped me redraw some spaces and figure out how some objects - life at calvin, family, a year in Lithuania, the Church, a partially sketched future - fit together on the same plane. her questions birthed new questions i hadn't yet asked myself. she, along with others, are helping me to measure some things.

this measuring will take awhile, especially after this past year - a good, hard, full one - in Lithuania. but this is also a life process, a life practice, and i am thankful for so many perspectival artists in my life. i am quite blessed to have these people who ask necessary questions with such care, who turn my vision upside-down, give me a drink from a different well, who help me redraw and rethink spaces. we can get so cramped rolling over our own musings and worries all the time. feels too small to live that way.

2 comments:

Paulnakhiv said...

Lnak, I love the way you write. It is something I can relate to: short - broken - fragmentary - brief - concise.
The brevity of your words speaks volumes.

leahnieboer said...

pm,
thanks for always reading. it seems like we are always speaking in fragments, though this makes the fragments no less true. very small truths in very small increments - this is how words go down on paper, i think.
-lnak